Curator/Associate Curator of Performance
The Whitney Museum seeks a curator or associate curator with a strong vision for performance within a museum context and an outstanding track record of programming in the performing and visual arts. Reporting directly to the Nancy and Steve Crown Family Chief Curator, the incumbent will create and oversee an ambitious program of performance art, music, dance, theater, and other related activities, as well as propose and organize exhibitions. He/she will play a key role in the evolution of the Whitney’s newly established theater and ensure the integration of performance within the overall artistic direction of the Museum and Collection.
- Oversee the Museum’s performance program, occupying a 170 seat theater, galleries and outdoor spaces, and a multi-use gallery for film, video, and performance; generate accompanying texts and publications; and supervise research and documentation related to the program.
- Propose and organize exhibitions across mediums, including the writing and preparation of related scholarly catalogues, brochures, and didactic texts; development of educational programs; and fundraising.
- Supervise a Senior Curatorial Assistant and Curatorial Assistant and work closely with departments across the Museum, including Exhibitions and Collections Management and the Theater Manager, Education, Development, Publications, Graphic Design, Research Resources, Legal, and Visitor Services.
- Lead the Performance Committee patron group and cultivate other donors and trustees, as well as external relationships with artists, members of the press, and colleagues at other institutions.
- Undertake special projects related to the Whitney’s collection, acquisitions, and departmental initiatives.
- Represent the Museum by delivering lectures, participating in symposia, and contributing in other ways that further its mission.
- M.A. in art history or strong knowledge of 20th and 21st century art preferred
- at least 5 years of experience in the field of performance, including demonstrated programming, scholarship, and a history of publications.
- Title (Curator or Associate Curator) will be determined based on level of experience.
How to Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write “Associate Curator/Curator Performance” in the subject line.